Thursday, April 12, 2018

IA02: Finding A Role Model

          For my "Find A Role Model" assignment, I chose my former manager and current friend Derek Partsch. Derek graduated from Cal U with a degree in sports management in 2010. Since then, he has worked for the Pirates, Planet Ice and the Johnstown Tomahawks. Professionally, he is a sales and marketing guy by trade. "I'm very people-oriented so I can easily have conversations with anyone, making me fit for the sales world." At Planet Ice, he was more managerial over staff than any other job he has had, although he was also responsible for over $100,000 in sponsorship sales. 
"I didn't mind managing people, but I do feel I'm better at sales and event planning than managing people." On the event planning side, he is the cofounder of Second Chance Fundraising, a nonprofit organization based in Johnstown. "We are dedicated to the second chance at life that organ donation can bring. In the two years of our existence, we have raised and donated over $50,000 and registered over 125 new organ donors."
          Good studying strategies helps college students succeed. Without good studying habits students would not be able to succeed in their classes and ultimately get their degree. Also, good studying habits lead to good grades, which can be a factor when applying for certain internships, graduate school or even careers. Every student studies in a different way, but it does not hurt to lean studying strategies from those who have been in that position before."To me, I prefer to isolation when I need to focus. Turning off all devices and minimizing distractions is also key." Building a good portfolio or resume in regards to how to find good campus or off-campus jobs that help build the resume for the profession that students are pursuing is another key factor in student success. A good portfolio or resume sets you ahead of other students applying for the same job. Also, have a strong resume for on-campus or off-campus during your college career can help build you an even stronger one for when you graduate."This one is pretty basic. For me, I found jobs related to sports and worked at them from the time I was 17. I wanted to be around sport, so I found the places that offer full time employment in my field and then asked them how I can help them out on a PT basis. For example, if you wanna be a doctor, perhaps working as a PT medical assistant would be beneficial so you can see how an office runs, etc. Advice would be find the full time jobs and then ask the company what PT help they need." 
      Students can also benefit from various campus events and mixers that provide them with networking and discovering information that they could potentially need. Networking is a surefire way to get a career during or after your college career. Networking can also aide in a quality internship. The only way to network is to go out an experience the different events and mixers that the different departments host. These departments host these events to help students."Everyone has a different college experience. At campus events and mixers, simply showing up and talking to one person can change your entire life. College should be spent making connections because at the end of your time, your friends there will all be headed in different directions and you never know what connections you will need down the road." Internships are very important for a student's future career, but many students forget the time and effort it takes to secure a quality internship. Career Development can help students find internships, prepare their resume and the student for interviews. Utilizing the multiple resources available to students is important. "Line them up early. If you need a summer internship in 2018, begin that search in the fall of 2017. Internships can be hard to come by, especially if they're paid. Early bird gets the worm in a sense. This also allows you to use the courses you have in the interim to prep for the internship." Participation in meaningful projects, competitions, or activities can aide student into developing strong skills over time that can carry over into their profession. Also, this participation can make your resume more appealing to employers and can set a student apart from the others in a good way. "A sure fire way to get this experience is to plan one yourself. For SCF, we planned our first 5K run in 2016. Had never planned one before. It was baptism by fire and we learned a lot.  You will make mistakes that will allow for skills to develop over time. I spoke to students at Cal in Feb 2017, and inspired them to plan a fall event that will serve as a fundraiser for the UPMC Cancer Center. I am serving as an event advisor and helping the students along the way."
    My interview had some similarities and differences when compare to the "Internship Spotlight: Anh Nguyen, BA Marketing and Economics '19," written by Corey Doeing from the Chatham Business Insight. I personally know Derek Partsch, so there was not any awkward or nervous feelings as it might have been with the article from Chatham Business Insight. Also, since Derek and I both have very busy schedules and I am at school in Pittsburgh and unable to go home, the interview was conducted via email, since we could not find an appropriate time for the both of us to interview over the phone. The Chatham Business Insight interview was most likely conducted in person rather than over the phone or via email. My summary I think is similar to the summary written in Chatham Business Insight. In the Chatham Business Insight article, Corey seemed to describe the different topics that Anh was asked questions about. This helped me better understand the type of internship Anh was participating in. In my summary, I described the concepts I interviewed Derek about, so the reader understands why I am asking these questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

IA05: Reflect on a Guest Speaker

         Bill Mooney spoke to our class to explain finance. He started his financial career in Los Angeles, where he worked as a Assistant N...